The Hoosier Authors Book Club began as part of our Indiana State Bicentennial programming for 2016. The Museum’s 2016 exhibit discussed the Golden Age of Indiana Literature, which began with the publication of Lew Wallace’s Ben-Hur and went on to include prominent novelists such as Crawfordsville native Meredith Nicholson, Gene Stratton-Porter, and others.
Our Hoosier Authors Book Club meeting for Thursday, May 4, 2017, has been canceled due to weather. We will still have our special Tuesday-night lecture on May 9 at 7 p.m. to discuss a Hoosier Quaker in the Civil War, which ties in with the plot of The Friendly Persuasion.
Book club participation is free and open to the public, but space is limited. To RSVP or for more information call 765-362-5769 or email email@example.com.
If you would like to receive notifications regarding the Hooser Author Book Club selections and meetings, sign up for our mailing list below.
Upcoming book discussions
May 4, 2017 – The Friendly Persuasion – Jessamyn West
June 8, 2017 – God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater – Kurt Vonnegut
July 13, 2017 – On her Own Ground: The Life and Times of Madam C.J. Walker – A’Lelia Bundles
September 21, 2017 – The Bears of Blue River – Charles Major
November 2, 2017 – Ben-Hur
Past books discussed
- The Magnificent Ambersons – Booth Tarkington
- The House of a Thousand Candles – Meredith Nicholson
- The Hoosier School-Master – Edward Eggleston
- Sister Carrie – Theodore Dreiser
- Prince of Graustark – George B. McCutcheon
- The Storied Sea – Susan E. Wallace
- Alice of Old Vincennes – Maurice Thompson
- The Fault in Our Stars – John Green
- A Girl of the Limberlost – Gene Stratton-Porter