The Hoosier Authors Book Club began as part of our Indiana State Bicentennial programming for 2016. The Museum’s 2016 exhibit discussed the Golden Age of Indiana Literature, which began with the publication of Lew Wallace’s Ben-Hur and went on to include prominent novelists such as Crawfordsville native Meredith Nicholson, Gene Stratton-Porter, and others. The program proved to be popular, so it has been extended.
Our next meeting will be November 2 at 7 p.m. to discuss Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Lew Wallace. The book is currently available for purchase at the Carriage House. Because the book is out of copyright, it may also be downloaded as a free ebook.
Book club participation is free and open to the public, but space is limited. To RSVP or for more information call 765-362-5769 or email email@example.com.
Upcoming book discussions
November 2, 2017 – Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Lew Wallace
April 19, 2018 – The Massacre at Fall Creek by Jessamyn West
May 17, 2018 – The Flying Circus by Susan Crandall
June 14, 2018 – So Cold the River by Michael Koryta
October 18, 2018 – Dune Boy by Edwin Way Teale
November 15, 2018 – An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser
Past books discussed
- The Magnificent Ambersons – Booth Tarkington
- The House of a Thousand Candles – Meredith Nicholson
- The Hoosier School-Master – Edward Eggleston
- Sister Carrie – Theodore Dreiser
- Prince of Graustark – George B. McCutcheon
- The Storied Sea – Susan E. Wallace
- Alice of Old Vincennes – Maurice Thompson
- The Fault in Our Stars – John Green
- A Girl of the Limberlost – Gene Stratton-Porter
- The Friendly Persuasion – Jessamyn West
- God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater – Kurt Vonnegut
- On Her Own Ground: The Life and Times of Madam C.J. Walker – A’Lelia Bundles