The Hoosier Authors Book Club began as part of our Indiana State Bicentennial programming for 2016. The Museum’s 2016 exhibit discussed the Golden Age of Indiana Literature, which began with the publication of Lew Wallace’s Ben-Hur and went on to include prominent novelists such as Crawfordsville native Meredith Nicholson, Gene Stratton-Porter, and others. The program proved to be popular, so it has been extended. Over the years the book club has hosted discussions with some of the authors, including Susan Crandall and Kelsey Timmerman. This will continue in 2021 when author Ray E. Boomhower joins the March discussion of his biography of suffragist May Wright Sewall.
Normally, the book club meets in the ADA-accessible Carriage House. In 2021 we have moved to a virtual format on the Zoom platform. Copies of the books are often available for checkout beforehand at the Carriage House. To RSVP or for more information call 765-362-5769 or email [email protected].
Upcoming 2021 Virtual Book Discussions
Thursday, May 13, 2021 – 7 pm – The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver – You must register ahead of time to participate.
Thursday, June 24, 2021 – 7 pm – Bento Box in the Heartland: My Japanese Girlhood in Whitebread America by Linda Furiya – You must register ahead of time to participate.
Thursday, November 4, 2021 – 7 pm – Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall – You must register ahead of time to participate. We plan to use Zoom as well as (hopefully) meet in person in November.
Past Books Discussed
- The Magnificent Ambersons – Booth Tarkington
- The House of a Thousand Candles – Meredith Nicholson
- The Hoosier School-Master – Edward Eggleston
- Sister Carrie – Theodore Dreiser
- Prince of Graustark – George B. McCutcheon
- The Storied Sea – Susan E. Wallace
- Alice of Old Vincennes – Maurice Thompson
- The Fault in Our Stars – John Green
- A Girl of the Limberlost – Gene Stratton-Porter
- The Friendly Persuasion – Jessamyn West
- God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater – Kurt Vonnegut
- On Her Own Ground: The Life and Times of Madam C.J. Walker – A’Lelia Bundles
- Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ – Lew Wallace
- The Massacre at Fall Creek – Jessamyn West
- The Flying Circus – Susan Crandall
- So Cold the River – Michael Koryta
- Dune Boy – Edwin Way Teale
- An American Tragedy – Theodore Dreiser
- Brave Men – Ernie Pyle
- What This River Keeps – Greg Schwipps
- Where Am I Wearing? A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People Who Make Our Clothes – Kelsey Timmerman
- Staying Put: Making a Home in a Restless World – Scott Russell Sanders
- Sailing the Inland Sea: On Writing, Literature, and Land – Susan Neville
- Divided Paths, Common Ground: The Story of Mary Matthews and Lella Gaddis, Pioneering Purdue Women Who Introduced Science into the Home – Angie Klink
- A Conservationist Manifesto – Scott Russell Sanders
- Invincible, Indiana – Nate Dunlevy
- Fighting for Equality: A Life of May Wright Sewall – Ray Boomhower
Disclaimer: The Lew Wallace Study Preservation Society participates in the Amazon Affiliate program. Links are affiliate links and generate income for the society at no extra cost to you.